Sheinart’s was a much-loved women’s clothing store on Atwater Avenue. It opened in 1919, finally closing in 2013. The sign is very special indeed. According to our resident expert, Mr. Bill Kovacevic, it’s skilfully built from welded stainless steel, a high-end process most often associated with the prestigious signs one might find outside corporate headquarters.
We’re very grateful to Mr. Bernie Sheinart for donating the sign for display in the CJ building. It will be a lasting reminder of an important chapter in Montreal’s retail history, as well as offering our visitors ‘hands-on’ insight into the superb skill that went into this kind of sign-making.